Google has announced that Android Wear 5.1.1 is now starting to roll out to the LG Watch Urbane, Motorola Moto 360, Sony Smartwatch 3, and Samsung Gear Live.
Today we are excited to announce that we have begun rolling out an update to Android Wear which will include a number of new features:
- Always-on screen, always-on apps: Most Android Wear watches include an always-on screen—no tapping, twisting or shaking required to see what time it is. Now we’re expanding this option to apps, so they can stay visible as long as you need them, instead of disappearing when you drop your arm. Perfect for running, navigating, or grocery shopping!
- New launcher & Wrist gestures: Now you can access your apps and contacts by simply swiping left from the watch face. Android Wear also now responds to specific navigation gestures so you can scroll between cards with a simple flick of the wrist. Learn more with our YouTube video.
- Draw emojis: In response to texts, instant messages, or emails, you can now send emojis to your contacts by drawing them on your watch screen. The watch will recognize the emoji you drew and send it via whichever messaging app you’re using. Give it a try by selecting “Draw emoji” whenever you’re replying to a message!
- Heads-up notifications: Incoming notifications like text messages will now appear on-screen even when you’re looking at something else on your watch, like directions or fitness stats, so you won’t miss anything important.
- Switching watches made easier: The Android Wear companion app now lets you pair your phone with more than one watch at a time – ideal for swapping watches to match your style.
- Change your font size: Want to see more text on your watch screen? Or less? You can now adjust the font size from your watch’s settings.
- Lock your watch’s screen: Want to lock your watch’s screen when you’re not wearing it? Turn on the new “Screen lock” feature from your watch’s settings. When enabled, if your watch detects you’re not wearing it (or it loses the connection to your phone) for a period of time, then your specified swipe pattern will be required to unlock it.
One of the most exciting features of this Android Wear update is Wi-Fi support. This feature will be available on:
LG Watch Urbane (details on this new watch here)
Sony Smartwatch 3
Samsung Gear Live
To enjoy Wi-Fi support, make sure it is enabled in your Android Wear companion app:
Open Android Wear app on your phone
Go to Settings (gear icon in upper-right corner)
Tap on Cloud sync
In order for you to receive this update on your watch, please make sure you have the latest version of the Android Wear app on your phone, by opening the Play Store, searching for “Android Wear”, and opening the app’s Play Store page. If an [Update] button is visible, make sure to update the app.
We hope you are as excited about this update as we are.
The release is rolling out gradually in the coming days and weeks. If your watch is not receiving the update just yet, please wait a bit! 😉
Feel free to ask questions, share feedback, and let us know if you encounter any issues!
The Android Wear team
Are you now enjoying Android Wear 5.1.1 on your Android Wear-powered smartwatch? Let us know through a comment on our Phones LTD Facebook page.